What do we offer?
- To be courageous
- To live wholeheartedly
- To keep growing
What do you bring?
- A positive attitude
- A can-do mentality
- Collaborative skills
Why Ahold Delhaize
- Huge Impact
- Work with fun and smart colleagues
- (Inter)national growth opportunities
Go straight to:
How you can make a difference
As our new Manager External Communications you’ll take a role in coordinating external communication strategies for Ahold Delhaize at an international level and you will be supporting the business in delivering objectives. You provide advice, coaching and expertise to internal (Executive and Functional Leadership) stakeholders to ensure all communication activities are aligned.
About Ahold Delhaize
We’re Ahold Delhaize, one of the world’s largest food retail groups and a leader in both supermarkets and e-commerce. Together with our 19 strong local retail brands in the United States, Europe and Indonesia, we make a meaningful difference in the lives of our brands’ customers, our people and the world around us. We offer a highly dynamic, international work environment in which our associates thrive.
Your new work environment
As Manager External Communications Ahold Delhaize, you will be joining our Media & External Relations department, part of the global Communications team. As the global Communications team, we play a key role in how customers, colleagues, and our investors see us. It’s up to us to manage our reputation and give meaning to the company’s mission of helping people eat well, save time, and live better. We work and communicate on a great number of interesting and sometimes complex topics such as sustainability, diversity, equity & inclusion, and financial results. One of the (many) perks of working for Ahold Delhaize’s Communications team is that you have a far-reaching impact. You will get to work on global communication topics that reach several continents.
You will be given the freedom and responsibility to take ownership of your work and broaden your horizons by working together with knowledgeable colleagues from different countries who have an abundance of expertise in many areas. We will continuously support you and help you build on your talents and skills for the future.
Key responsibilities of your role
Your role is highly diverse and encompasses various responsibilities. Here are the key ones:
- Manage and build pro-active relationships with key U.S. and European media, maintaining an open dialogue and ensuring sufficient access to media if and when required.
- Act as a company spokesperson, prepare and develop first drafts of holding statements, press releases, messaging and Q&A documents.
- Support in managing communications related to financial updates (e.g. Quarterly Results, the annual general shareholder meeting), operational performance, restructuring, divestment/investments and mergers and acquisitions.
- Be part of the delivery of the strategic and creative external communications programs to promote and protect Ahold Delhaize’s global reputation.
- Build and manage productive relationships with our U.S. and European communications colleagues across the various brands and regions, helping to ensure smooth communications and helping to ensure a consistent and aligned voice to external stakeholders.
- Utilize your writing skills for speeches, press releases, social media and (video) scripts.
- Analyze and advise on media & speaking opportunities, utilize our social media monitoring tool to keep up with external developments.
- Support the Director Media & External Relations in preparing the Ahold Delhaize Executive Committee for external communications, ensuring they are well equipped to deal with and understand the working practices of each medium they meet with.
- Serve as subject matter expert in defined areas (preparing for strategic messaging and external events).
What’s in it for you?
Aside from what we ask of you in this role, we also have a great deal to offer you: plenty of growth opportunities and various cross-brand career options; flexible working hours; a hybrid working model (we ask you to spend at least 50% of your working time at the office); and the chance to help drive meaningful change on a global scale. You can look forward to a good work-life balance, and the chance to work in an inclusive environment that wholeheartedly encourages growth and welcomes you just the way you are.
- A gross annual salary between 70.000 and 85.000 euro. This includes holiday allowance.
- Attractive bonuses
- A first-rate pension plan
- 20 vacation days and the option to buy an additional 12,5 days from your personal ‘flex budget’
- Travel expenses or an NS travel card
- A laptop and smartphone
We think you’ll be best geared for success if you meet the following requirements:
- A Bachelor’s or Master's degree, or equivalent experience.
- At least 3 - 5 years of external communications experience, in a leading multinational or in an agency environment, or 3-5 years of experience as a financial journalist.
- Experience with acting as a spokesperson.
- Good knowledge, understanding of and insight in the international business media landscape and the Dutch and Belgian stakeholder and media landscape.
- Experience with delivering leadership and strategy communications programs, and the the ability to support and advise senior functional and executive leadership on sensitive and confidential topics.
- Knowledge of brand and reputation management in an international environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to create cogent arguments and simple messages and produce good first drafts (of releases, statements, speeches, CEO communications, etc.).
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to master complex information quickly and translate for external audiences.
- You value relationships and teamwork, and you have experience with proactive stakeholder management.
- You are a native Dutch speaker and a near native English OR native English speaker with high proficiency in Dutch.
- You can work precisely, even under time pressure and short deadlines.
Aside from these hard skills, we think you should also bring some much-valued soft skills to the table: A passionate, creative, fun and engaging attitude. A sense of humor is much appreciated!
Are you keen to join the Media & External Relations team? Even if you don’t tick all the above-mentioned boxes, but you still believe you have the personality and skills that make you a suitable candidate, we strongly encourage you to reach out to us. Apply now via the button on this page, or feel free to contact Anouk Reus via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
At Ahold Delhaize and our local brands, we broadly define diversity as being inclusive of thoughts and skills, generational differences, LGBTQ+, gender, race and ethnicity, disabilities, nationalities and more, and we accept all people for who they are.
matters to us?
"I realized how much impact you can truly have as an individual, working for such a huge international company.”
“The support this company has always offered means the world to me."
“I feel the freedom to show initiative, propose changes and try new things. Having that freedom gave me wings to fly.”